Going Sideways Rally 2013

scclub
Site Admin

Going Sideways Rally 2013

Post by scclub » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:21 am

Well the "Going Sideways" 2013 rally is into the history books. It was quite a success (especially for a first time event) with quite a few people showing up - we had 21 rigs on the group ride!

I don't have a huge amount of photos of the weekend (too busy running around organizing things) - so if you have pics from the rally please share, so everyone can see what fun it was, and come out next time!

(While not confirmed, it does look like this might well become a yearly thing.)

Ok... onto events and highlights from the rally....

We (Jamie and Cindy) arrived at the site site early on the friday for setup - first throwing up our tent before going off to setup the BBQ area. Ural Canada (who had graciously provided the rally site and other support such as the porta-potties, eating tent, etc) had already setup a few things, and had freshly cut the grass in the field. (Which was still a touch bumpy, but you can't expect a field to be asphalt smooth!)

After a bit of work, the provided eating tents went up near the BBQ area.. and people (early arrivals) began to trickle in.

Unfortunately Friday was also the day with some severe wind and thunderstorms (A few people had to divert and instead of arriving on the Friday, showed up on Saturday morning instead.... probably a wise idea... because while we went to get some groceries for the weekend, apparently there was a bit of a gust... ok a HUGE bit of a gust... and the eating tent got kinda... bent.

Fortunately nobody was hurt (though Terry, the CSOC president had to scramble for cover)

The two eating tents were collected (the tarp tops being stashed under a nearby heavy weight... my Ural rig)

Image(
Just a little bent)

(Motorized paperweight!)

After they were collected (And after the winds had died down on Saturday - Saturday and Sunday we had perfect weather)
the remains of the two tents were reconstructed into one tent.... so we still had some shade. (Didn't need rain protection on Saturday or Sunday at all)

We had some people arrive in true style (gotta like this setup... 45 foot RV with the sidecar rig up on a platform behind the truck)
We hung out for a bit under their awning.

Most of the others had more basic accomodations - in our case just a wee tent, but we all had a great view.

By Saturday people were arriving, and we had a pretty decent sized group

Here we are getting ready to head out on the group ride....

A group of Ural owners went out with Ural Canada for an offroad ride on Saturday - which might have been a *bit* more of a challenge than they were expected. (One Ural rolled, and some parts had to be re-attached... definitely some brave drivers there!)

We ran some sidecar games (Ural Canada also did some Demo rides in the field)

(This is a slalom course with targets to hit along the way... turf was flying as they went through this!)

Things settled down towards evening... we had a bbq steak dinner (Cindy sourced some huge steaks.... so nobody left hungry!)

Saturday finished off with Karaoke, a bonfire, and fireworks (happening in Ennismore, but viewable from the site)

Sunday we finished off with a home made pancake and peameal bacon breakfast... then handed out the awards. (Ural Canada got some prizes lined up, and we had some Club merchandise to give away as well... everyone walked away with something, be it a helmet, motorcycle gloves, a CSOC hoody, or a variety of t-shirts.)

If anyone else has the chance.... please send us a link to your pics (or the pictures themselves) and we will get them added so everyone can see what happened on the weekend! Thanks to everyone who attended, it was fun!)

We'd also like to thank Ural Canada for provided the site and support - without them it would not have happened!

Jamie

Gummiente
Head Cheese

Re: Going Sideways Rally 2013

Post by Gummiente » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:48 am

On behalf of Angie and Sir George, I want to thank you and Cindy for all the effort you put into this rally. We had a great time (even if I did end up working on a couple of bikes) and we hope that it will indeed become an annual event. Well done to both of you and to Ural Canada!
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese
http://www.curdforum.net

07 HD Road Glide/Ranger

jleonard
Forum Regular

Post by jleonard » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Gummiente wrote:On behalf of Angie and Sir George, I want to thank you and Cindy for all the effort you put into this rally. We had a great time (even if I did end up working on a couple of bikes) and we hope that it will indeed become an annual event. Well done to both of you and to Ural Canada!
Hey at least you didn't have to fix my bike for once! Didn't break a thing all weekend... despite my enthusiastic bombing around the field too. (A Ural makes a great "running over to the porta potty" field machine in a pinch... who needs an ATV?)

Thanks! I think there is a definite possibility we could make this a yearly thing - after we've recovered (and had extensive therapy both mental and physical) we'll talk that over with the Ural Canada guys (who I think were open to that as well.) It would be nice to have a regular sidecar related event every year that brings together all the different types of rigs (be they BMW, Honda, Ural, or the occasional frankenbike.)

Besides which, I think Sir George has already put in his requests for "More Dropped Steaks" on the rally feedback form. Which was surprising, since I didn't know he could write and also I hadn't created a rally feedback form.

Jamie

nippongreen
Poster

Post by nippongreen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:26 am

Firstly Chris and i would like to thank Cindy the dynamo for all her hard work and effort :o ...(the steak supper was AWESOME) and also ALL the other volunteers that made the rally a huge success.
Also many thanks to Ural Canada for supplying the porta-potties etc and letting us have a demo ride on one of there Urals ;)

After checking in at the motel we decided to go check out the rally site, only to dash back to the motel after a couple of hours...... as the storm she was a coming !!!!!...........LOL

A good gathering at the campsite and i tried my hardest to camouflage my Honda from the Ural crew......LOL

Cathy + Bob and there outfit, i have known Bob for a number of years through the Honda forum ;) He gave me lots of info on how to attach my sidecar to the Honda GL frame

Having a blast on the excellent ride out

Chris's choice for our next outfit !!!

My choice for our next outfit !!!!....Oh the family debate begins....LOL

Chris taking a breather after the ride out........I must have done something right, she fell asleep during the ride :lol:

Everyone having a good chat after the ride out

Chris and i testing out the Ural

We had a great time....lots of laughs at the sidecar games

We both had a good laugh riding through this on our departure....LOL

Once again, many thanks to ALL the organizers and volunteers and many thanks to ALL for making us so welcome.
Looking forward to next year.
All The Best.....................Keith........... 8-) .................
2001 Honda ST1100 (Cody)
1979 Honda CX 500 (Bessie)
1978 Honda GL 500 (Scruffy) + Velorex 562 sidecar
Founder "Ottawa Misfits Motorcycle Group" FaceBook https://www.facebook.com/groups/37608284209/

Gummiente
Head Cheese

Post by Gummiente » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:50 pm

Here's a slideshow of the photos that my wife Angie took during the rally. If you went on the Saturday ride, she probably captured you on the way out... Click Here
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese
http://www.curdforum.net

07 HD Road Glide/Ranger

Sidecar Bob
Poster

Post by Sidecar Bob » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:30 pm

Sorry I took so long getting back here. Its been an eventful summer.

I want to echo everyone else and thank Jamie & Cindy for all their hard work and Gerry & Mike for sponsoring the rally. If/when you do it again you can count on us.

For those who were wondering about my clutch, the worst of it went away when I replaced the cable. It still grabs a bit on cool mornings so I might need a clutch next year but it could be because I am using oil that is API SN with no JASO rating.

And on a final note, for those who didn't make it, here is a very short video of one of the calmer moments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZerTC14T-8c