Dual passenger sidecar recommendations

General user discussion
Uralgrl
Poster

Dual passenger sidecar recommendations

Post by Uralgrl » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:22 pm

Hi,
I've been on the hunt for a dual passenger sidecar for a few years now but haven't found what I'm looking for. I have 2 daughters I'd like to haul around (ages 5 and 3) and both will need to be in the chair until the older one can ride on the back of my bike.

I'm looking to find a newer bike (under 10 years old) and add a to it. I'm on the smaller side so I'm looking for a bike no bigger than 750cc.

As for sidecars-I like the transmoto sidecar that has the quick 2nd seat attachment so I can turn it back to a solo seat in future. Sharing 1 seat in the chair doesn't seem like a good option cause I can already see them fighting over who's touching who etc. :roll: What other sidecars do you guys recommend that won't break the bank.

Looking for recommendations for both bike and chair.
Cheers!
'89 RZ350
'84 RZ350
'07 FZ6

scclub
Site Admin

Re: Dual passenger sidecar recommendations

Post by scclub » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:24 pm

Not too many options for dual passenger sidecars - at least for new sidecars I think. The trans moto one you mentioned would probably be a good option for smaller machines - most of the others I can think of offhand would be for larger motorcycles, like the goldwing.

It might be cheapest to buy an entire Goldwing rig prebuilt actually, they can come up fairly inexpensively used - but that would be a bigger rig than 750cc certainly.

Keep in mind with a sidecar size isn't necessarily as big of a factor when riding - though it can make a difference pushing it around a parking lot I will admit. But for riding, a well set up rig will not necessarily require a big person to drive it - unlike a solo rig you don't need to put your feet on the ground or support the weight of the right. No matter your size, if you are new to sidecars you will have a bit of a physical adjustment driving one - they use some unusual muscles that aren't used by ordinary bikes (or cars) but are quite fun to learn how to drive.

DMC (In US, west coast) has a double sidecar - https://www.dmcsidecars.com/sidecars/kenna-double/

For unsolicited advice - you'll want to make sure (and you probably already thought of this) they have proper motorcycle helmets - DOT approved, bicycle helmets won't be legal. (Have to mention it :) That might be a bit tricky for a 3 year old, but I haven't really looked into youth helmets so I'm not sure what is available.

Uralgrl
Poster

Post by Uralgrl » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:23 pm

Awesome info. I've never ridden a goldwing and my husband says it's out of the question because it's just too big for me. I'm concerned about the reach of the handlebars and having to try and turn the big beast :lol: . Some come with reverse gear, correct?

A friend of ours owns a motorcycle shop and if I'm not mistaken, he was able to get proper helmets in for us. It's been a couple of years since I looked though. That was going to be my next question for everyone. What brands do you prefer for kids helmets?
'89 RZ350
'84 RZ350
'07 FZ6

Sidecar Bob
Poster

Post by Sidecar Bob » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:24 am

FWIW, my kids grew up riding in sidecars (I even took the youngest to her wedding in one) and they never fought over anything when in the sidecar. I think most of that fighting is just to get the parent's attention and in the sidecar you can't hear them over the wind so it doesn't work. Besides, the experience of riding in a sidecar is so much more stimulating than the boring ride in a car (especially if they aren't big enough to see what's outside of that car) that they are too busy to get bored.

scclub
Site Admin

Post by scclub » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:00 am

I believe some of the goldwings do have a reverse gear yes - but even without, you can easily push any sidecar on level ground. (Generally more easily than a regular bike.) I used to drive a Ural (which is not a light rig) with reverse and it was definitely nice, but I'd more often just park so I didn't have to reverse if I had the option.

Not sure on kids helmets - my daughter was about 10 before I put her in a sidecar and there are a lot more options at that age I suspect. As usual, something that fits well, is comfortable and is a full face to protect them - DOT approved, and brand name if you can get it.

Usually on a sidecar rig, wider handlebars are a good thing - helps with steering effort. My wife (who is vertically challenged) used to manage the Ural just fine, and did at least one test drive of a Goldwing rig - I suspect it wouldn't be a big issue. But I admit, I currently have a Burgman 400/Armec rig and I do like how light the whole thing is compared to many rigs.

But with a double sidecar, small and light probably isn't in the cards :)

Hobo
Poster

Post by Hobo » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:24 pm

- John M.
Morinville, Ab

- '09 Black C50 & silver/black Velorex