Sidecar nose rack

Dedicated to our Western Canada Sidecarists - with news on events, happenings, and local information
Reccebiker
Poster

Sidecar nose rack

Post by Reccebiker » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Ok. After doing some hard thinking, why would I as a retired welder buy a nose rack from someplace that would charge me 200% of the cost for something like a nose rack? I decided to sit down and design one and figure out the cost and amount of material for a small rack that would fit on the forward top section of my sidecar similar to the commercial nose racks seen for Urals. I'll submit pics of the completed project when it's built. Anyway, here is my design, I figure less than 30.00 CDN for the materials.
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG (37.46 KiB) Viewed 657 times

Mikey
Poster

Re: Sidecar nose rack

Post by Mikey » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 pm

Is it flat? Or will it have a lip? Post some pics of the work being done.

Hobo
Poster

Post by Hobo » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 am

Good idea, and Mikey has a great suggestion as well.
What are the stand-off dimensions & are they hollow w/tapped threads? Are you adding some loops to stop the tie-downs from sliding forward? What about perimeter railings? What is your design maximum weight limit? Are you incorporating brackets for additional lights?
- John M.
Edmonton, Ab
'08 Ural Patrol

Reccebiker
Poster

Post by Reccebiker » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:53 am

The rack is still in the design stage, I've been told that I could find a Harley rack that would fit the dimensions that are similar to the Ural nose rack. Although I'd rather build the rack myself, I might just rethink this idea and if I can pick a rack up cheaper, I might go that route.. Stay tuned.. :D

Hobo
Poster

Post by Hobo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 am

There's a shop in Stony Plain that has been dismantling + selling used quads & motorcycles & parts for over 20 years. Their prices & selection are good. Recycle Motorcycles. Maybe check them out for racks.
- John M.
Edmonton, Ab
'08 Ural Patrol